Actor Noel Clarke will not face a criminal investigation over sexual offence allegations, after police said there is not enough evidence.
Specialist detectives carried out a “thorough assessment” of the information received and decided it “would not meet the threshold for a criminal investigation”, Scotland Yard said.
The star had “vehemently” denied “any sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing” against 20 women who he knew through his work, with their claims published by The Guardian last year.
He also said he was “deeply sorry” if some of his actions had affected people “in ways I did not intend or realise”, and vowed to get professional help “to educate myself and change for the better”.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 police received a third party report relating to allegations of sexual offences allegedly committed by a male over a period of time.
“Following a thorough assessment by specialist detectives it was determined the information would not meet the threshold for a criminal investigation.
“We have shared our findings with the third party organisation and updated the complainants who subsequently contacted us following the initial report.
“If any further criminal allegations related to those already assessed are reported then it will be thoroughly considered.”
Image: Noel Clarke and Ashley Walters in Bulletproof South Africa. Pic: Sky UK
Following the allegations, ITV cancelled the final episode of drama Viewpoint, in which he starred, and Sky, which had broadcast Clarke’s series Bulletproof, said it would no longer work with him.
Bafta suspended Clarke’s membership of the organisation and his outstanding British contribution to cinema award, which he had been handed in April 2021.
Clarke also left his production company, Unstoppable Film and TV.